11 September 2013
Cumbria Bridges: 11. Bridge House, Ambleside
This bridge is a curiosity more than anything else.
In Bridges in Britain, G Bernard Wood described the bridge as follows: "The tiny bridge-house is a waif of Time, stranded between road and car-park".
It was reportedly built over 300 years ago as an apple store for the nearby Ambleside Hall. It was apparently constructed over Stock Ghyll in order to avoid land taxes.
In 1926, it was purchased and passed to the care of National Trust, who still use it as an information centre and shop.