Because I'm struggling to find time to write for this blog, I'm mainly just going to offer you a series of photos with brief comments. But really, this bridge can speak for itself.
This is the classic view of the bridge, taken from the north bank of the Tyne. The weather was fairly miserable when I visited, but that doesn't detract much from this remarkable view.
A glass "shed" at the south end of the bridge sits above the machine control room, and provides space for the bridge operators to receive guests. A matching glasshouse at the north end is available for other use, e.g. exhibitions, but was unused when I visited.
It's a hugely impressive piece of both engineering and architecture, quite deserving of its many accolades and awards. It has been suggested that this is one of the most expensive footbridges ever built, and that's probably true, especially for the width of obstacle crossed. But it's a hugely iconic structure, a tribute to the ingenuity and perseverance of its designers, and certainly one of the most lasting monuments to have emerged from the turn of the millennium.
- Google maps / Bing maps
- Engineering Timelines
- Bridges on the Tyne
- Gateshead Council (lifting times, visitor details etc)
- Wilkinson Eyre
- The Gateshead Millennium Bridge (Clark and Eyre, The Structural Engineer, 2001)
- Crossing the Tyne (Manders and Potts, 2001)
- Gateshead Millennium Bridge (Brownlie, Footbridge 2002)
- Bridge Builders (Pearce and Jobson, 2002)
- Bridges (Torres Arcila, 2002)
- 30 Bridges (Wells, 2002)
- Gateshead Millennium Bridge, UK: fabrication, assembly and erection (Butterworth, Carr, and Kassabian, ICE Bridge Engineering, 2003)
- Gateshead Millennium Bridge, UK (Curran, Structural Engineering International, 2003)
- Gateshead Millennium Bridge - an eye-opener for engineering (Johnson and Curran, Proc. ICE, 2003)
- A critical analysis of the Gateshead Millennium Bridge (Blandford, University of Bath, 2007)
- Footbridges (Baus and Schlaich, 2008)
- An Encyclopaedia of Britain's Bridges (McFetrich, 2010)
- Masterpieces: Bridge Architecture + Design (Van Uffelen, 2010)